Jesse Rogers

Born: 03 March 1791 in Washington County, Tennessee
14 February 1872 in near Rogersville, Webster County, Missouri
15 February 1872, Watts Cemetery, Rogersville, Webster County, Missouri

Mother: Unknown Britton
Father: John Rogers

Married: (1) Elizabeth Evans 12 November 1812 in Powell Valley, Claiborne County, Tennessee.

She was born 1798 in Virginia, and died 01 November 1832 in Marion County, Tennessee


  1. Jesse William
    b. 6 Aug 1812 in Tennessee
    d. 24 Dec 1903 Elmtown, Anderson County, Texas
  2. John (Joe) Clark
    b. Abt. 1814
    d. 1846, McClennon, Texas
  3. William McKendree
    b. 30 January 1817, Claiborne or Campbell County, Tennessee
    d. 18 February 1904, Tarrant County, Texas
  4. Reuben Brawley
    b. 11 April 1821, Claiborne County, Tennessee
    d. 07 November 1876, Webster County, Missouri
  5. Daughter
    b. Abt. 1825
  6. Robert Doak
    b. 04 June 1826, Claiborne County, Tennessee
    d. 06 June 1872, Christian County, Missouri
  7. Malinda (Morning) C.
    b. 1827, Marion County, Tennessee
  8. Manerva (Manervy) Jane
    b. 27 May 1828, Marion County, Tennessee
    d. 30 June 1911, Webster County, Missouri
  9. Sarah Wyrick (Sallie)
    b. Abt. 1830, Marion County, Tennessee
    d. 30 June 1911
  10. Susannah
    b. Abt. 1832, Marion County, Tennessee

Married: (2) Mary Griffith 25 July 1835 in Marion County, Tennessee.

She was born 10 August 1797 in Georgia, and died 18 March 1890 in near Rogersville, Webster County, Missouri. First married to Samuel Cozby


  1. Hester Ann
    b. Abt. 1841, Marion County, Tennessee

Sources and Additional Information:

JESSE ROGERS was born 3 Mar 1791 in Tennessee. He was probably born in what was then Washington County. He died 14 February 1872 in Webster or Greene County, Missouri. He is buried with his second wife and many other family members in the Watts Cemetery near Rogersville, Webster County, Missouri.

There is no record of Jesse having a middle name. Under British law, it was not allowed for commoners to have a middle name. Not until after the Revolution did middle names become fairly common. The earliest member of this line that I have found with a documented middle name was Jesse's younger half-brother, Reuben B. (rawley) Rogers b. ca 1795. The some earlier researchers tried to give Jesse the middle name of Green or Evans, but that does not appear to be correct. Jesse had a grandson who was named Jesse Evans Rogers and a great grandson named Jesse Green Rogers. That is probably the reason we find some erroneous references to this Jesse's middle name.

Jesse married Elizabeth Evan on 12 November 1812 in Claiborne County, Tennessee. She was born 1798 in Virginia. We do not yet known who her parents were. He was a farmer, hunter, and powder maker like his father and at least one brother, Major David b. 1779.

He served as a 2nd Corporal in the War of 1812 in Col Johnson's Regiment, Captain Stewart's Company. He was mustered in to service 20 Sep 1814 for the term of six months. He was mustered out at Knoxville on 3 May 1815. At the time he served, he reportedly was 5'10", with blue eyes, fair complexion, and light hair.

The regiment commanded by Col William Johnson was also known as 3rd Regiment East Tennessee Militia. It was active between September 1814 and May 1815.

The men of the Regiment were mostly from the Tennessee counties of: Knox, Claiborne, Greene, Jefferson, Anderson, Blount, Carter, Cocke, Grainger, Hawkins, Rhea, Roane, and Sevier.

The Captains of the Regiment were: Christopher Cook, Henry Hunter, Joseph Kirk, Andrew Lawson, Elihu Milikin, David McKamy, Benjamin Powell, James R. Rogers, Joseph Scott, James Stewart, James Tunnell.

A Brief History of the Regiment:

Part of General Nathaniel Taylor's brigade, this unit of drafted militia (about 900 men) was mustered in at Knoxville and marched to the vicinity of Mobile via Camp Ross (present-day Chattanooga), Fort Jackson, Fort Claiborne, and Fort Montgomery. Along the way the men were used as road builders and wagon guards. Many of them were stationed at Camp Mandeville (near Mobile) in February 1814, where there was much disease. For example, the company of Captain Joseph Scott had thirty-one listed sick out of an aggregate of 104 at the final muster.

Upon returning from service in the War of 1812, Jesse signed a document on 29 Nov 1816 in Claiborne Co that appointed James Walker as his a attorney to obtain whatever "payment was due him for his tour of duty in the late War United States against Great Britton (sic) and the hostile Creek Indians". This was a common practice at the time.

According to his War of 1812 pension application, he left Claiborne County, Tennessee in 1826 with his family and went to Marion County, Tennessee where his uncle, Jeremiah b. ca 1765, was already living. There, his wife, Elizabeth, died under very unusual circumstances. See The Susan Martin (Rogers) Story in Bits & Pieces.

With several small children, it is no wonder that Jesse married again. On 25 July 1835, he married Mary Griffith. She was the widow of Samuel Cozby (b. VA d. Oct 1826). She had five children from her first marriage. Two of her sons later married two of Jesse's daughters. A Justice of the Peace named Amos Griffith who lived next to Jesse and Mary in the 1840 Marion Co census married them. Mary must have been related to him, but we do not know how.

In 1845, Jesse and family left Marion Co for Greene Co, MO where two of his sons had previously taken up land. Jesse and his sons were located in the area where Greene, Webster, and Christian Co, MO come together. Jesse lived in southeast Greene Co. . However, beware that this one of those sources that erroneously shows that Jesse's middle name.

Here is one of the best example one can find as to why one should not rule out a genealogical connection just because the name is spelled slightly differently. I believe that Roggers is Rodgers is Rogers.

In the 1850 Census, he is found in Finley Township, Greene Co, MO as Jesse Roggers.

In the 1860 Census, he is found in Taylor Township, Greene Co, MO as Jesse Rodgers.

In the 1870 Census, he is found in Taylor Township, Greene Co, Mo as Jesse Rogers.

As mentioned in the article by C. E. Rogers at the site to which you were referred above, Robert Doak Rogers' son and Jesse's grandson, John Clark Rogers, was eight years old when the Civil War battle of Wilson's Creek took place near their farm on in the summer of 1861 just after the fall of Ft. Sumter. As the battle raged near-by, Johnny's task was to keep the geese quite so that Grandpa Jesse who was a veteran of the War of 1812 could hear the cannons roar. See: for other interesting stories about this line in and around Ozark, Christian County, Missouri.

The Battle of Wilson's Creek was the first major battle to take place west of the Mississippi River. There were many who took part in that battle who would later become famous or infamous: Wild Bill Hickok, William Quantrill, Frank James, and Cole Younger. The Union commander, General Nathaniel Lyon, was killed at the battle and thus became the first Civil War general to be killed in action. Lyon was 41 years old, a West Point graduate and professional soldier had served with distinction in the Mexican War. Considering the lesser number of men engaged, Wilson's Creek was far bloodier than Bull Run. One-fourth of the Federal soldiers were killed, wounded, or missing. The 1st Missouri Union Infantry marched on the field with 720 men and left it with just 420; the 1st Kansas lost 300 of 800 men. More than half of the Confederate casualties were from Price's Missouri regiments, but the 3d Louisiana and two Arkansas regiments also took heavy losses. There were also Texas units involved in the battle and one unit made up of Indians fought on the side of the South. Many German-speaking units were also in the battle. They were made up of immigrants living in St. Louis and Illinois. These men for the most part had fled due to the unsuccessful revolution in what is now German in 1848-49. The battle of Wilson's Creek (or Oak Hills as the Confederates called it) was also known as "the battle that made the generals". Sixty-four officers who took part in the Battle of Wilson's Creek later became general officers.

Rogersville Missouri in Webster Co was named after Jesse's grandson, Dr. Isaac Newton Rogers b. 28 December 1849 d. 12 Oct 1938.

Jesse is buried with his second wife, Mary, and other family members in the Watts Cemetery in West Benton Township, Webster Co, MO just outside of Rogersville, MO. Date of death on the stone is hard to read. In the book Webster Co, MO Cemetery Inscriptions, Book III on page 47 the date of death is given as _____Feb 1879. Actual date of death was 14 Feb, 1872.

I visited their graves in March 2000 where I took the first two photos after Jesse's photo above. At the time his stone was almost not readable. Soon after that the cedar tree that had grown up between Jesse's and his wife, Mary's, grave blew down in a storm and knocked down his stone. In September 2005 I retuned and had a new stone that I had ordered a year earlier place on his grave. We had the original stone placed at the foot of his grave. See the 4th and 6th photo above.

In the 6th photo you can see what is left of the cedar tree. In the 7th photo is shown a group of Jesse's descendents who came to the small dedication ceremony. No, photo #5 is not one of the descendents. As we were placing the stone, this fine specimen of a Missouri mule came over to watch us. I thought that was a good omen and took his picture. The last photo is of the back of his stone. If you visit, don't fail to look at the back of the stone.

How to get to Watts Cemetery near Rogersville, MO where Jesse Rogers is buried:

- From Springfield take Highway 60 headed east toward Rogersville, Fordland, Seymour, and Mansfield. As you approach Rogersville stay on Highway 60 and do not exit at the sign for Rogersville. Highway 60 bypasses Rogersville to the south. There is a stop light at the intersection of 60 and State Road VV. Rogersville is just off to your left at this point. There are a couple of big gas stations, a Hardy's, a small shopping center, and maybe even a McDonald's on the right. Turn right onto State Road VV which goes straight south. After about half a mile or so, the road takes a curve to the right at the intersection of VV and Watts Road also known as Farm Road 371.

Turn onto Watts Road which continues south and ends in about a mile at Watts Cemetery. If you go to this web site you will see a map of the area:


In the center of the map you will see the number 19. That is the intersection of Highway 60 and State Road VV. Follow VV straight south to where it turns right (to the west) and there you see a smaller road that continues south. That is Watts Road. Hit the bright green triangle at the very bottom center of the map and it will take you further south.

Just about in the center of the map you will see Watts Cem. As you will notice it is almost right at the intersection of Greene, Webster, and Christian counties. As one enters the gate of the cemetery, Jesse's grave is straight ahead to the rear of the cemetery. His son, Robert Doak Rogers and other Rogers, Watts, Eddings, etc are to both sides of his grave.

Jim Watts takes care of the Watts Cem on Watts Road just outside of Rogersville. His number is 1-417-753-2688. There is a box on the fence as you leave and enter the cemetery where you can leave a donation for upkeep of the cemetery if you like.

John (Joe) Clarke Rogers Sources and Additional Information:

John (Joe) Clark Rogers (ca 1814 - 1846) was probably born in Claiborne County, Tennessee. He and his brother William were the first to move to Missouri in about 1834. It appears that they came to Greene Co, MO with the Watts family. In the 1840 census, he is not found, but may have been living with his brother and his wife. Under Wm M. Rogers there are two males listed 20-30. William and John would have both been in that age category.

A letter written by William's daughter in 1936 when she was 75 years old indicated that Joe had no disposition for farming and met a trader who was "heading West" and went with him and that was the last time the family ever saw of him. Later they heard that Joe was in McClennon, Texas where he had a ranch and some cattle. In about 1846 the family received a letter stating that Joe was dead, but it was never learned just what happened.